Friday, July 20, 2007

It's been a while............

Well I suppose it's time to update the blog, right? Truth be known, I have been avoiding the blog posts for months because I started thinking that perhaps posting pictures of my family on the internet for the whole world to see is somewhat creepy..............meaning that there is probably some weirdo out there printing pictures of my family and other people's families and pasting them on the walls of his smelly dirty dimly lit apartment in Detroit while he dances naked to death-metal songs.

Well, I have reconsidered. Perhaps "Freaky Guy" is out there but I doubt he is willing to seek out my residence and peek through the window of my home, perhaps only to find Christina vacuuming in pajamas and Jack is enjoying a Mr. Rogers episode circa 1984. Besides, if you know my son Jack, he might scare the would-be intruder away by charging at the man, slamming the window with his fists, making growling sounds akin to a Tasmanian Devil, and foaming milk suds, etcetera, profusely from the mouth.

So, on to the actual posting business, as far as communicating information is concerned; Anyone who reads this more than likely knows that The Sullivans (meaning John B.'s branch of the esteemed clan) have gone to Texas. So this is not big news. Neither is it big news that Christina and Jack Quackers are here now. All of our real fans know this. I was here in TX since the end of March.........alone........waiting for my family.............just think of me as "Freaky Guy" in his apartment described above during this period prior to my family's arrival.

But seriously folks, yes we are all together again, and happy as pigs in "mud" to be in each other's company and residing in beautiful Austin, Texas. Jena, Mark, and Joseph are here in town too now. Jena has rented herself a nice little town home in Cedar Park which is a suburb of Austin. The home is new and so is the neighborhood. We like to joke around that it is so clean it's like the neighborhood in the movie "The Stepford Wives" or whatever that movie was called. Jena is working in dialysis with her same company and the boys are starting school in the fall at two nice looking schools that were just built two years ago.

There are many new components of our lives these days which are interesting to us and may be to you as well. I will now share them with you. I have no shame in this because obviously if you are reading this, you think I am pretty cool and would probably read anything I write about here on the blog.

Now, we shall begin with the health benefits of snorting powdered Armadillo scat...........

Just kidding, but here are the "In no particular order / Not-necessarily Top Ten" things that I find really neat about where we live now:

1. Kolaches. Pronounced "Coal-ah-cheese". These are a tasty Czech danish which has been consumed greatly throughout Central Texas for over a 100 years. Check 'em out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolache My son is also a big fan of these traditional Texas breakfast pastries.

2. Thunderstorms. I have never seen rain like I have seen rain here. I have been in my truck with the wipers on the fastest setting, and I am still creeping along the road straining to see through the windshield. And the thunder, the 1st time I heard it was about 10PM one night at the house and I thought a bomb exploded next door. Now I think it's cool, but the 1st time I heard it, I have to admit was enough to make me respect anew the power of nature.

3. Barbeque - It's the real deal down here. And it is Good. We Texans take roasting all of God's creatures very seriously. And yes I am a Texan, if you are out there sneering, saying "Oh he thinks he's a Texan now!", I am too a Texan! I have a TX drivers license, TX residence, and I own multiple firearms.

4. Trees and green landscapes. Natural Beauty that is indigenous. Remember that in Southern California, the trees are planted for the most part. Here they will build around existing trees and incorporate existing trees into the layout of a new home development or shopping center. Trees are everywhere here. There are also parks it seems on every block.

5. Friendly people. Back in San Diego, I had some neighbors who looked as though they would rather cut my throat than say "Good Morning." Now, not everybody is that way in San Diego / CA and not everybody here is friendly, but for the most part people here just tend to be more cheerful and courteous to others they encounter. I like that. I actually need to learn to be more friendly in order to fit in here.

6. Churches. Yes you have heard correctly about Texas. There are alot of churches per square mile here. Even in liberal Austin. Many people go to church here, have faith in God, and are proud of that fact. It's part of the culture. And that's OK.

7. Tex-Mex. Now I love Mexican Food. The Mexican Food that I grew up on and is consumed in California is mostly based on the recipes which originated in the Sonora area of Mexico along the border. Seafood in the Baja tradition is big in California. Here in Texas, it's alot of the same ingredients but still different. Tex-Mex Food originates from areas of Mexico towards the interior of the country, more so the Chihuahua and Coahuila states of Mexico. So there is more food typical of a ranching culture. Beef dishes are more numerous and also anything delicious that can be stuffed into a pepper, then covered with cheese.

8. Guitars & Cadillacs. Now you remember the great Dwight Yokam song don't you? "Guitars & Cadillacs" is the idea I think of when I think about what makes America "Cool". It's the nostalgia, rock & roll, country music, road trips, hamburgers, mini-skirts, chicken fried steak, etc.......Austin is cool like that. You have to see it to know what I mean. And if you do see it and don't like it, please quickly find the next airplane to San Francisco or New York City.

9. Housing Costs. As in: Nice neighborhood. Good School District. Brand new home. 3 bed, 2 bath. 2000 SF. $200,000. Enough Said.

10. Water. Just because I left the coast doesn't mean that I have to live without water nearby. There are all kinds of lakes, rivers, and creeks around Austin. Lots of boating, water skiing, sea-doo-ing, kayaking, and beach activities. Here the River Rats wear cowboy boots with their swim trunks..................actually, not really, but Christina thinks I should start the fad.

Long story short. We are doing good and having fun. I am enjoying my job, I have two projects about to start, one in Dallas and one in Austin. They are bigger than what I have done before so I am looking forward to the challenge and new experience. Christina is as cute as a bug and Jack is as big a handful as ever, but one Chris and I thank the Lord for everyday. Thanks for reading and stay tuned.

"Like...hey dudes, wassup..and.....Y'all take care now, ya hear!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

John--I'm glad you are loving your new place of residence! It was great to see you guys last week, and thanks again for being so gracious to let us sleep in your room! I do have to mention one thing though...it's "Y'all come back now, y'hear?" but your rendition was pretty close. Come up and see us sometime in Arkansas. You'll see a lot more natural beauty, and lower housing costs!! :) Love you guys!!

erin said...

i'm so glad you guys are doing well! we have those rain/lightning/(BOOMING)thunderstorms here every day in CO....monsoons is what they call them here. they are CRAZY!
john, you are a funny writer. keep 'em coming!!! it's fun to keep up!